Friday, September 5, 2008

Steak.

Since my regular Beef Bowl place at Palama Market closed down, I've been on the look out for other alternatives to McDonalds. Even though they've got the McRib this month. According to the Blood Type Diet, potato is no good for us Type Os, so I've got to get some distance from those evil french fries.

It was a sojourn to Foodland for my grandmother's ice cream (I'm still lactose intolerant.) that caused me to park in the Foodland parking lot, get out of my car, & then walk directly into a charcoal, spice, & beef-flavored smoke.

It's like Huli Huli Chicken. Only better; it's steak.

I wasn't hugely impressed with the steak plates we used to eat in the airport area, although it was still pretty good. However, immersion in steak-enhanced smoke is a great persuader. And, it was about time for lunch anyway.

Those steaks looked about as good as they smelled. I don't get to hibachi very often, & I'd have to say that the smell of grilling steaks is one of the most festive, happy smells I can think of.

Could these guys do rare? Absolutely they could, by request. Did I remember to arrange for the rare steak? No, I forgot. The smell was just too enticing. I can't think when I'm salivating. Also, the ice cream was melting.

Not only were these boys cooking up the food I was brought up on (this & spaghetti; it's all I can remember), but they were also frying up another favorite food: shrimp!

(Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich.)

Turns out these guys are a completely different company from the other steak plate stands I saw at other supermarkets. Apparently all the money changing was done inside Foodland, so I went inside to order my lunch as well as interrogate the friendly guy at the Steak Table.

Ono Hawaiian Steaks has stands at various Foodlands on various days, from 10am-6pm. Their schedule is kinda crazy:

Tuesday: Beretania
Wednesday: Mililani
Thursday: Market City & Koko Marina
Friday: Ewa Beach

A steak plate, or steak & shrimp plate, is $6.50 & comes with an ice cold can of soda (Diet Coke, my elixir of life.). You can also buy a 1 lb steak by itself.

Surf & Turf for me, please.

Steak & shrimp plate obtained, I hurried outside to enjoy the sunshine & devour my delicious-smelling food. There was a table of condiments including Tabasco shoyu, but I was starving at this point. Who cared about the ice cream. At first glance I remembered I had forgotten to request my steak rare, but quite frankly the slices of beef looked great... medium.

I can't remember the last time I ate steak medium. I think it was at Morton's, & I had ordered rare. You'd think at Morton's you could get rare.

Anyway.

Under the shade of the Foodland parking lot trees, with the scent of charcoal still on the air, I sat down on a bench with my steak & shrimp & an ice-dripping can of Diet Coke.

I've been lucking out like a madwoman lately. This was awesome steak, & believe you me, I am a steakologist. It was soft, aromatic, with just enough fat. The lack of blood wasn't an issue. I could see that the beef had been heartily seasoned, but to be honest, I couldn't identify the seasoning exactly.

But it was very, very good. I'd like to learn this seasoning mix. No, they wouldn't tell me.

I highly recommend this place. The tough part is being in the right parking lot at the right time.

See you guys at Beretania Foodland on Tuesday.

I got the ice cream home ok, btw.

2 comments:

Inspired said...

Wow yummmmm! Loves me some steak n shrump!

Unknown said...

To be completely honest... if a girl smelled of freshly grilled steak or Jack Daniels, I would be powerless and bend to her will. But, then again... I'm weak willed.