Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Food Review: Chez David

Once upon a time I was having dinner with my brother at Kincaid's, which is a wonderful option if you are looking for good, affordably-priced prime rib. Occasionally they have a very hot mama singing in the lounge area as well.

Add to that their ability to provide prime rib at the requested temperature. That earns like 300 points in my book. The correct temperature is huge. Huge.

"I'd like the prime rib," I told our server. "Rare. Like bloody rare. Like swimming in blood. If I can't get that, let me know & I'll order a steak." I'm generally pretty clear about how I like my beef.

"Same," my brother said.

When our dinners came, they were both just what I had asked for. It was just barely warm. I was greatly pleased, & our server was smug. My brother was actually a little nauseated.

There's only one thing, however, that is better than a bloody rare roast. And that would be a bloody rare roast with nuggets of raw garlic & a pothead's supply of butter sauteed mushrooms.

Now that's what I'm talking about.


I've had my brother David's chili, & it's probably the best chili I've ever tasted. Eye widening flavor & just a little too spicy. Now that's good chili. It's gotta hurt a little, like a good Anejo.

So when Audrey & I showed up for our table at Chez David, I was thinking about chili. But as soon as we got in the door I knew I was very, very wrong. But in a good way.

Fee, fi, fo, fum. I smell beef.

Yum.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

The chef was cooking a healthy portion of heaven in an impressive-looking rotisserie oven. The instructions had said 15 minutes per pound, so he was cooking it 10 minutes per pound, he said. Or something like that. Heavy salivation affects my hearing.

"It's probably ready already," I said. Hey, once the outside looks brown that's good. I mean, you wouldn't want to burn it, right?
David promptly removed the roast & started carving it up. I guess the smell was getting to him too.

As you can see, it was perfect. I've left this photo large simply because it's too pretty to size down any more.

Entertainment while we dined consisted of the much-bloodier-than-the-theater-version director's cut of Troy (hell yes). Between the excellent meal & Brad Pitt as Achilles, it was a deeply fulfilling feast of... well, meat.

I'd have to give this experience five stars.

We'll definitely be coming back. David has a copy of 300.

12 comments:

Krissy said...

OMG you and my husband should hook up and eat meat together. the only thing is that you can eat prime (he doesn't like it) and he can eat steak. both still semi mooing. =)

Lauren said...

I like any kind of beef as long as it isn't marinated or cooked too much. Best steak I've had was probably a blue NY at the Waikiki Ruth's Chris (thanks Kiyoshi). Amazing - perfect texture, full of flavor. The steak of my dreams. The quality of the beef really had a lot to do with it that time.

Rare prime rib is just, well --- a rarity. Since it's all roasted before anyone orders anything, & slices are just cut from "the rare section" or "the medium well section," it's very difficult to get a bona fide Rare. So kudos to Kindcaid's in that respect!

rogan said...

Eh I don't think a lot of people know what a blue steak is? Let me ask my co-workers. (yep, no one her e heard of it before :p)- I love telling people about it, but have never had it myself. My grandpa -Japanese side- only eats rare or blue. It sounds crazy but I would try it. I'll try almost anything except insects or raw snake heart - did you see that on Anthony Bourdain's show? Nasty..

In Yokohama this past Spring I ate at a small steak restaurant serving Kobe beef. It was the most insane meat I have ever eaten. Cooked medium-rare, broiled with some butter, my teeth cut through it like nothing but it was still dense enough that I could enjoy the smallest bite as if it was a mouthful. I have a couple of blurry pictures of it somewhere on Flickr. I'm not sure but I think this was on the top floor of the Takashimaya that is attached by cat-walk to the Yokohama Bay Sheraton. Keep up the hunger-pang-inducing bloggage.

rogan said...

BTW, the dinner was about $60 for 6oz of heaven. Also, I found my horrible picture here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loganwilmeth/2388504645/

I have got to go through that flickr account and clean it up..

Unknown said...

This is making me hungry.

Kid said...

Haha! Lauren, remind me to clean the place up next time I invite you girls over for dinner. Thanks for the generous review, and I think I'll get the Chili pot out for the next time!

Unknown said...

Yay! another food blog...and no one was hurt! ha!
I'm a real meat eater, and it is not an easy task to find great beef around here..
this looks delicious and enticing and the big hunk o' garlic seald the deal for me!
I love your opinions...thanks for blogging!

Mike said...

Outstanding! Love the pics and the review needed no signature ... it was pure Lauren. Kincaid's ... I like the brie ... and the hot mama!

Unknown said...

I came back to find out the name of the restuarant to tell a friend and read the blog again..I just realized I'm the hot mama!! hahaha!
Thanks so much Lauren!!! : )

Unknown said...

I know how much you like your beef cooked correctly. I'm glad you found a place that can do it. I remember ordering burgers from some place that will not be mentioned and my burger being more rare than yours. LOL. Will have to check Chez David out one night.

dody said...

I am not a great meat eater but after viewing the photos and reading Lauren's review, will definitely have to give Chez David a try. (My husband drooled all over the keyboard!!)

Inspired said...

CheeeHooooo! got my account going. Nice write up. I gotta eat at Chez David sometime!