Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Sitemeter Internet Explorer Blogger Crash!!

Today I attempted to visit this blog so that I could then jump to the various reads in my blogroll since, like any intelligent person, I use my blog's blogroll to archive links instead of my Favorites or Bookmarks. Yeah, shut up.

But then I couldn't; Internet Explorer shut me down every time I tried. A quick visit to Blogger's Help Group revealed the issue: if you employ Sitemeter at Blogger you will not be able to view your blog via Internet Explorer. Neither will anyone else.

Sitemeter's about to launch a multi-server upgrade & so that's probably why it's all glitchy. Whatever. Anyway.

Most support forums you visit will immediately advise you to avail yourself of their SEARCH feature to find relevant topics to help yourself with. It's kind of like reminding your incontinent grandmother to use the restroom before getting into the car for the cross-country road trip. Keeping all relevant discussion about a specific issue in the same thread is actually pretty important to the effectiveness of a support section. As was demonstrated by the dozens of threads --- sometimes up to 5 in a row --- at Blogger's Help Group (in fact, in 3 different sections of the Help Group), all about the same thing.


I was pretty impressed with the misuse of question marks: HOW did you remove it...SITEMETER or Blogger won't let me on..always get the IE message???? YIKES.... Deby Were people really this panicked? And how many sentences did Deby connect together with the little dots? Her username is "yesipray." Well, I guess He doesn't mind her grammar so who cares.

The other thing I noticed is that a lot of bloggers can't spell. One blogger wrote:
I to am having the same problem, I thought someone hacked my site through comments... so it definatly is a blogspot issue?

Yikes. I wanna go check out this guy's blog!! I bet it has all kinds of cool information about clubs & stuff.

Since I checked the Blogger Help Group this afternoon the piles & piles of threads about the same issue have grown into dozens of pages. It's amazing that people don't see the blue lines saying "Internet Explorer Can't Open My Blog" "Cannot Get To My Blogs" "Internet Explorer Cannot Open The Internet Site" while they are scrolling down to the Post Your Question button at the bottom of the page. How can they miss all this?

My only solace is that I did see a lot of posts in which there were no spelling or grammatical errors. There were actually a lot of literate people there on Blogger. That means there are actually a lot of literate people out there in the world.

But not enough, probably.


Incidentally, I removed Sitemeter from my page & now it's all good.

The end.

2 comments:

Luboš Motl said...

Seven different ways (click!) to fix the problem without removing the Sitemeter, plus the exact cause.

Unknown said...

SOILENT GREEN IS PEEEEOOOOOOOOPLLLLLEEEEE!!!!

I like the literacy picture. YES, readin' and spellin' is FUN!!!!